Home > World > US moves significant military forces in West Asia for possible strikes against Iran

US moves significant military forces in West Asia for possible strikes against Iran

Author: AGENCIES
Last Updated: February 20, 2026 02:26:20 IST

NEW DELHI: The United States has deployed air and naval forces to West Asia, local media, including the Wall Street Journal and CNN among others, reported on Thursday, marking the most substantive deployment to the region since US had invaded Iraq in the year 2003.

The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this weekend, though President Donald Trump has yet to make a final decision on whether he’ll authorise such actions, CNN said, citing sources familiar with the matter.

This comes amidst Iran and Russia announcing joint naval drills in the Sea of Oman to deter any “unilateral action” in the region.

Iranian Navy’s spokesman Rear Admiral Hassan Moghadam was cited by Iran’s Tasnim news agency as saying that joint naval exercises of Iran and Russia will be held on February 19 “in the Gulf of Oman and the northern Indian Ocean.”

Top US administration national security officials met Wednesday in the White House Situation Room to discuss the situation in Iran, the American broadcaster cited a person familiar with the meeting as saying.

Trump was also briefed on Wednesday by special envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law, about their indirect talks with Iran that occurred a day earlier in Geneva.

The WSJ report noted that the US is continuing to build up its military presence in West Asia, sending F-22 and F-35 fighter jets. In addition, a second aircraft carrier and command post aircraft are en route, it said.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt had said on Wednesday that “Iran would be very wise to make a deal” with US President Donald Trump, after indirect talks in Geneva mediated by Oman, ended without a significant breakthrough. Iran’s foreign minister said there was an agreement on a “set of guiding principles.”

Trump has repeatedly demanded that Iran give up its nuclear program, including agreeing not to enrich any more uranium.

In June last year, the US and the Israel had launched a 12-day war, conducting strikes on military and nuclear sites across Iran.

Trump had on January 26 this year said that a “massive armada” was heading toward Iran and expressed hope that Tehran would return to the negotiating table and conclude a “fair and equitable” deal, implying a complete renunciation of nuclear weapons. In response, Tehran warned that any attack on Iran will entail threats to the United States and its allies’ entire military infrastructure in West Asia.

Latest News

The Daily Guardian is India’s fastest
growing News channel and enjoy highest
viewership and highest time spent amongst
educated urban Indians.

Follow Us

© Copyright ITV Network Ltd 2025. All right reserved.

The Daily Guardian is India’s fastest growing News channel and enjoy highest viewership and highest time spent amongst educated urban Indians.

© Copyright ITV Network Ltd 2025. All right reserved.