Categories: India

Delhi expands Atal Canteen network to 71 as 25 new centres inaugurated to serve Rs 5 meals

Published by
Prakriti Parul

The Lieutenant Governor of Delhi, Vinai Kumar Saxena, along with Chief Minister Rekha Gupta, on Thursday inaugurated 25 additional Atal Canteens in the national capital, increasing the total number of such facilities to 71. The inauguration was conducted digitally from Nursery Basti in Krishna Nagar in the presence of ministers, MLAs and senior officials.

After the launch, the Lieutenant Governor, the Chief Minister and other dignitaries shared a meal with members of the public at the canteen.

Speaking on the occasion, Saxena termed the expansion a major milestone for the city, noting that 71 operational canteens are now serving clean and nutritious food at affordable prices in various parts of Delhi. He said the initiative has significantly benefited economically weaker sections of society.

The scheme was launched on December 25 last year to mark the 101st birth anniversary of former Prime Minister and Bharat Ratna awardee Atal Bihari Vajpayee. According to the Lieutenant Governor, the canteens have extended support to migrant labourers, students, rickshaw pullers, sanitation staff, domestic workers and daily wage earners.

He further stated that the Delhi Government is providing a subsidy of Rs 25 per meal to ensure affordable access while maintaining dignity for beneficiaries. Mechanisms have been put in place to monitor hygiene, quality and transparency. Saxena lauded the Chief Minister and her team for implementing the initiative effectively and expressed hope for further expansion.

Chief Minister Rekha Gupta said the Atal Canteens are meant for hardworking individuals striving to support their families. She underlined that ensuring access to affordable and nutritious meals is a fundamental responsibility of the Government. Beyond providing food, she said, the initiative promotes dignity, security and social inclusion among labourers, street vendors, construction workers and other underprivileged groups.

Citing the principle of “Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas, Sabka Vishwas,” Gupta reiterated the Government’s resolve that no one in Delhi should sleep hungry. Balanced meals consisting of dal, rice, roti and vegetables are being served at just Rs 5, offering substantial relief to low-income residents. She announced plans to expand the network to 100 canteens in the near future.

The Chief Minister also outlined steps taken to ensure smooth operations, including a digital token system, CCTV monitoring, computerised billing and serving meals in steel plates. She proposed setting up an Atal Canteen corpus fund to encourage citizens and organisations to sponsor meals on special occasions.

Mentioning that the Government will complete one year in office on February 20, Gupta said the administration has worked with transparency and accountability, taking several propoor decisions over the past year.

Urban Development Minister Ashish Sood said the Government remains committed to the principle of Antyodaya, aimed at uplifting the last person in society. He revealed that since the scheme’s launch on December 25, as many as 1,458,301 people have availed meals at Rs 5 within 57 days. Sood added that during the past 56 days, 46 canteens were operational, serving an average of nearly 26,000 people per day, with each canteen catering to over 31,000 individuals on average. With the addition of 25 new outlets, more than 50,000 needy citizens are expected to benefit daily.

Describing the initiative as more than a simple meal programme, he said it represents a broader effort to support vulnerable sections of society.

Prakriti Parul
Published by Tikam Sharma