The Congress on Monday criticised the India US interim trade deal agreement the United States and India alleging that the pact compromises India’s farmers, energy security and national sovereignty saying Prime Minister Narendra Modi has “surrendered” before US President Donald Trump in agreeing to the deal.
The Congress also claimed that it will “devastate” the livelihoods of crores of farmers across states and accepted the challenge of Union Home Minister Amit Shah to have an open debate on the deal with the US.
Addressing a press conference, Congress General Secretary Randeep Surjewala slammed the BJP-led NDA government at the Centre and said that trade agreements should not become a path to slavery by “sacrificing a country’s sovereignty”.
Surjewala, who is also the incharge of Karnataka said: “Trade agreements are the path to economic progress. The very foundation of trade agreements is mutual public interest on equal terms. “Trade agreements should not be a path to slavery by sacrificing a country’s sovereignty. National and public interests cannot be sacrificed under the guise of trade agreements,” Surjewala said.
He stated that India’s energy security was openly compromised and serious questions have been raised about India’s digital autonomy and data privacy.
“Instead of standing firmly in defence of India’s interests, a helpless government compromised India’s sovereignty and self-reliance,” the Congress leader said.
“People are asking whether it is a ‘mazboot sarkaar’ (strong government) or “majboor sarkaar” (compelled government), an ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’ (self reliant India) or ‘Americanirbhar Bharat’ (US reliant India),” he said.
The Congress leader’s comments came after the US and India announced a framework for an Interim Agreement on reciprocal, mutually beneficial trade.
He said: “Country’s interest cannot be mortgaged for trade agreements. India’s energy security cannot be compromised.”
He alleged that the interim agreement announced earlier this month, allows dutyfree imports of US agricultural products including processed maize, sorghum and soybean oil, warning that it could directly threaten Indian farmers.
“If America sells duty-free corn in the Indian market, what will half of India’s farmers do?” he asked.
Surjewala also highlighted the production gap between India’s 4.3 million metric tonnes of maize and America’s 425 million metric tonnes.
He also questioned if the Narendra Modi government has opened the doors for GM Crops in India through the back door.
The Congress leader highlighted point five of the trade agreement saying it clearly states that, considering America’s concerns, India will remove its non-tariff trade barriers.
“America gives its farmers an annual subsidy of about Rs 1.45 lakh crore. In contrast, in India, a subsidy of Rs 6,000 is given per farmer family, but Rs 25,000 is taken back through expensive diesel, fertilisers, electricity, and pesticides. And despite this, Narendra Modi made an agreement with America that we will reduce farmers’ subsidies and approve GM crops,” Surjewala said.
While commenting on textile sector, he pointed out that Bangladesh would be allowed to import US cotton duty-free to manufacture garments for export back to America at zero duty, while Indian exports face an 18 per cent levy.
“If that cloth is exported from Bangladesh at 0 per cent to America, and we do it at 18 per cent, who will suffer the loss? The 18 per cent one will suffer, right?” he said.
He added that India is also agreeing to import U.S. cotton at zero duty despite being a major exporter, warning of a “double whammy” as Bangladesh could shift purchases away from India.
While commenting on energy sector, he cited the February 6 executive order from the White House claiming India has committed to stop buying crude oil from Russia, with penalties threatened if it does, while recalling that India was already barred from Iranian oil imports in May 2024.
“India will now not buy 52 per cent of its oil requirement,” he said, noting that cheaper Russian and Iranian crude had saved India about $20 billion ( Rs 1.81 lakh crore).
He also criticised a mandate requiring India to purchase $500 billion ( Rs 45 lakh crore) worth of US goods over five years, and asked, “Can this be in national interest?”
“This agreement is about compulsion, not equality,” he alleged.
To a question about Shah challenging Congress for a debate on interim agreement between US and India, Surjewala said, “Our leaders Mallikarjun Kharge and Rahul Gandhi gave us the direction to keep the facts in public. If Amit Shah is ready for a debate then I am ready to go to BJP office today or tomorrow or any other day I am ready for it. Amit Shah should tell the date. Or if he wants to come to Congress office, then we can have discussion here over tea.”